Why Apply to
Great Minds Virtual?
Great Minds Virtual is making learning more empowering by leveraging technology to spark curiosity, build character, and develop knowledge. We believe that the right learning environment is paramount to helping students—in all their extraordinary diversity—fulfill their potential.
• Highly trained subject-matter and online-teaching experts
• High-quality, knowledge-rich instructional materials
• Small class sizes of 15–20 students
• Synchronous live classes supplemented by asynchronous learning experiences
• Our families can live anywhere in the world they would like as long as their GMV student is a U.S. citizen and is able to adhere to U.S. time zones.
WHO IS GREAT MINDS VIRTUAL FOR?
Great Minds Virtual is for students who are fearlessly curious in their pursuit of learning. They are trailblazers, ready to go beyond the four walls of a traditional classroom to try a new way of learning. Our students are innovative, resourceful, compassionate, and confident.
WILL THE PROGRAM BE A GOOD FIT?
The admission process includes conversations with our team to determine whether Great Minds Virtual can meet your child’s learning needs. The reflection questions below are designed to help you begin exploring.
- Does your child thrive learning from home? For example, did your child have a positive remote-learning experience during school closures related to the COVID-19 pandemic or have they attended and enjoyed their experience at another online school?
- Does remote learning fit your family’s schedule and needs?
- Is there a guardian available to support your child while they learn remotely?
- Would your child want to connect with other students in the Great Minds learning community?
If you answered yes to these questions, Great Minds Virtual could be a great fit for your child and your family.
Our Zero-Tuition Model
We’re removing many of the barriers to a quality education, including tuition and most materials expenses. Families may pay fees associated with co-curriculars (for example, instrument rentals).
Great Minds Virtual is a tuition-free independent school.
We provide all curricular resources such as books, hands-on lab equipment, and project-related materials.
Families provide a computer and related technology (internet/Wi-Fi, etc.).
Technology funding assistance is available for families unable to provide a computer and/or related technology for their child.
Students will need a computer with internet access and audiovisual capabilities (to access classes via video conferencing software) that meet online learning requirements. (We will provide a full list of hardware and software specifications.)
While live classes enable synchronous learning, it is crucial that students have a responsible adult present during school hours who can:
• Provide technology assistance (make sure students can access class, troubleshoot tech difficulties, etc.).
• Support students academically by making sure they’re ready to learn and have all their materials.
• Make sure students have lunch and snacks, are taking screen breaks, and are engaging in physical activity throughout the day.
Great Minds Virtual offers sessions on a variety of topics throughout the year to support parents/guardians and other adults helping students with their learning. A guide to family support can be found in the parent handbook, provided upon admission.
Admission Process and Timeline
To begin the process, please complete the online admission application and submit it with supporting documents (teacher recommendations, report cards, IEP documents, etc.).
Should your application meet our criteria, we will send you an admission video providing details about our program for you to learn more.
We will invite your family and child to an informational meeting with a member of our admission team via Zoom.
You’ll receive your admission decision within two weeks of submitting a complete application and all supporting materials.
If your student is accepted, they will be enrolled for the 2023-2024 school year. All learning materials, necessary technology, and a welcome package with student swag will be sent to your household in the mail.
"*" indicates required fields
Our commitment to you
Great Minds Virtual is committed to our community and to learning and growth for all.
We promise to bring care, compassion, and curiosity to everything we do.
For more information, you can reach us at 202.892.6447 or by email at [email protected].